Developing Alternative Life skills & Initiatives Together-DALIT
- Hits: 2536
GBK is working for assisting the Dalit peoples to access their rights and improvement of livelihoods. In this process, GBK is addressing the Dalit’s education, technical skill for alternative and dignified occupation and other issues of their livelihood. Advocacy with government and local elected bodies, civil society peoples are the part of the working process. The small communities in Bangladeshi culture including- Bashfore, Lalbagi,Shabdokor/ Badia,/ baddokor, Hari, Bashmoli, Hela, Rougth, Robidash, Partni, Mali, Balmiki, Nunia, Reeshi, Dhopa, Kamar, Kumar, Fisherman, Majhi(boatman), Kullu, barber who are oppressed,tortured and suppressed by heredity, detached from mainstream society are treated as Dalit. GBK continues to focus on achieving social change through improve the capacity of the dalit communities in order to enable them to meet their basic needs and social inclusion. The project is implementing in 05 sub-districtsunder 03 District (Northern part of Bangladesh) covering 518 household 2703 families with the support of HEKS Switzerland since 2006.
Project Participants/ Beneficiaries : The project is being implementing through community approach covering total household 518 and population 2703, (Male-1377 & female1326), the project participants are socially excluded marginalized and all age group people are involve in the process. The project is being implementing with DALIT community people those are poor and living in below poverty level, most of the people are earning by doing cleaning job, they also do sweeping public place, remove skin from dead animal, hair cutting, fishing and like other dirty jobs which are socially neglected. The Dalit people those who are earning money all most all have no plan how to spend for their family, they spend maximum of their earning for drug (alcohol/narcotics). The many dalit community peoples are not allowed to enter in the hotel or restaurant, saloon as treated as untouchable. Most of them have no homestead land, usually they live in Railway land, municipality, hospital vicinity or other’s land which are verbally allocated, authority of the land can give evacuation notice at any time when need. Their accommodations are unhygienic; they have only one or two small room to live with even 7-10 family members. In the community their sanitation situation is very worst. Early marriage is one the common thing of Dalit community, as because they attacked by diseases, ill health & malnutrition found round the year. . Dalit people can’t’ protest or resist illegal influence of influential person of greater community that is why they are often being dominated by the greater community leader. Drug addicted person from greater community also take the opportunity to use dalit community as a drug using shelter, abused area, men or women (Dalit those did not like to use drug) cannot protest.
Project Period: The current phase is going on for the period July 2008 to December 2012 and the next phase of the project is under design stage.
- The Dalit people would be able to understand their situation in the society, be aware about the causes and would try to overcome their situation and try to develop themselves as human being.
- The adult peoples are hopped to be trained and skilled enough to deploy themselves in different income generations instead of inhuman latrine/toilet cleaning works.
- The children would be enrolled in school, will be educated, would be engaged in dignified job and would also work for their future generation and finally developing their livelihoods.
- Dalit people would be included socially, live with dignity and treated with respect by the grater community.
The project is being implemented in North-west Bangladesh since 2006 in 03 District, covering 05 sub-districts of 3 districts namely- Dinajpur, Rangpur and Nilphamari.
Major area of Intervention/Component:
- Awareness development of dalit community people.
- Child education
- Leadership and skill development training
- Right based activities
- Linkage, coordination and Advocacy
- PPS & NFPE School (Learning & Cultural Center ) activities
- HOME (Holistic Opportunities for Meritorious students Education) Activities
- Community Meeting
- Day Observation, seminar/workshop/meeting
- Capital Support for Income generating activities-IGA
- Create savings habit of community Members
- Support provide to Victim
- Project Participants Awareness Training
- Networking, Linkage & Advocacy